When NSP degrading enzymes hydrolyse NSPs, arabinoxylan-oligosaccharides (AXOS) are formed. The AXOS act as a prebiotic as they are preferentially fermented into highly absorbable short-chain fatty acids (SCFA) by the bacterial gut flora. This prebiotic effect induces several positive effects such as a drop in pH and the alteration of the microflora composition in the hindgut of the pig, which results in a healthier gut environment and a better health status for the pig.
As already demonstrated and published by Huvepharma®, the extra effect of Hostazym® X over performance benefits can be measured through its impact on mortality. Table 1 summarizes the results of four trials where the link between boosted gut health and reduced mortality was identified (in addition to the extra performance benefits).
These results demonstrate that:
- Hostazym® X has a consistent effect on reducing mortality in growing-finishing pigs, which can be linked to the prebiotic interaction between the xylanase hydrolysis products (distinct oligosaccharides) and the hindgut microflora.
- The addition of a standard dose of Hostazym® X (1,500 EPU/kg feed) decreases mortality rate by more than 25%.
In addition to what has already been published, further investigations into the influence of Hostazym® X on mortality continued under field conditions. Customer reports from an additional 15 studies (Table 2) where mortality and culled and removed pigs were recorded showed:
- An increase in top hogs by an average of 1.7% (5 studies)
- An average reduction of 26.9% in mortality (12 studies)
- An average reduction of 38.6% in culled and removed pigs (3 studies)
The economic impact of the improved mortality and reduced removals can be estimated at around €1,000 per 1,000 pigs placed in addition to the economic benefit of extra performance. (Economical calculation assuming a meat price of €1.40/kg and a slaughter weight of 115 kg. The extra financial gain is due to a reduction in mortality by 25% when Hostazym® X is fed at 1,500 EPU/kg feed).
- Hostazym® X has proven to increase pig performance and improve gut health status
- Hostazym® X consistently shows a reduction in mortality (-26.9%) in growing-finishing pigs
- Hostazym® X increased the number of top hogs by 1.7% and reduced the number of culled or removed pigs by 38.6%
- Hostazym® X improved financial gain by almost €1,000 per 1,000 pigs placed, leading to a higher income of €1 per placed pig